Looking for an easy and frugal way to update your front door?
You may already have some or all of the supplies needed to make this quick and easy craft project!
Don’t you love when you don’t have to buy much or anything to make a craft?
I’m going to show you how to make a super cute (and easy! and frugal!) burlap cross door hanger!
DIY Burlap Cross Door Hanger
Materials and Tools Needed
1 yard of burlap fabric – will have leftover
Scrap fabric of your choice – I found a remnant in the clearance section for this project!
Newspaper (could use grocery sacks)
Thin-medium gauge wire
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Tool to smooth fabric and hot glue (and not burn your fingers!) – I use a pry bar.
Cost = less than $5!
- Fold your burlap fabric to create 2 layers. (You will want 2 identical shapes.)
- Using chalk, draw your design onto the fabric.
- Cut out your cross shape. You should be cutting 2 layers of fabric.
- Place your scrap piece of fabric on top of the cross, and cut into the same shape, leaving about 1/2″ to 1″ from the edges of the burlap cross. Note: You can piece this together if needed. I applied a bow to cover the pieces where they met.
- Hot glue the fabric cross to the burlap cross, and press down with a tool or towel to seal.
- Flip the cross over, so your front is on the bottom.
- Place hot glue around the edges, little by little, and place the 2nd burlap cross down, sealing the edges.
- Fill with crumbled up newspaper as you go, making sure to add newspaper to all areas before hot gluing and sealing everything up.
- Apply a large dot of hot glue in the center of the cross and add a bow. I just cut a piece of burlap ribbon, and used scrap pieces of the same fabric and twine to tie the bow together.
- Push your wire through the tops of the cross, and bend the ends around a marker to create the swirled look.
- Hang and admire!
Pretty easy, right?
Round up the supplies, print these instructions, and make your own DIY burlap cross door hanger!
You can really make these for any occasion and any design! Be creative with your pattern and fabrics!
These burlap cross door hangers would make a beautiful housewarming, baby, wedding, or Christmas gift!
Share your creations in the comments!
P.S. Never want to miss a post but don't have time to check the site everyday? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive blog posts straight to your inbox, along with the best frugal living tips!