Tis the season for cleaning and decluttering, a.k.a. Spring! I caught the bug too, and just finished cleaning out our closet.
It wasn’t in too bad of shape, but it was jam packed and getting hard to find things.
I got rid of anything that I hadn’t worn in the past year, anything that didn’t fit right, and anything that looked well worn.
The end result = A clean, decluttered, colorful closet with only my favorites (and like 4 of my husband’s shirts. 😉 )
This took me a few hours to do, but I am so glad I took the time to clean my closet out. I found clothes I had forgot about, things that I would love to wear more of, and lots of things I was just hanging onto for really no reason.
I can see and look through my clothes so much easier now. I really love only having my favorites in my closet now. I don’t have to spend time looking through a ton of things I don’t love and am not going to wear to find what I’m looking for.
It’s so much more fun picking out clothes and getting ready now! Closet makeover win!
Here are my best 10 tips for organizing your closet!
- Get rid of anything you haven’t worn in the past year, anything that is torn, stained, or cannot be repaired, anything you just don’t love, and anything that doesn’t fit you right.
Organize your clothes by season.
- Keep everything that is out of season towards the back of your closet. This way, you can easily see and get to all of your cute, summery clothes when you want to and you don’t miss an opportunity to wear that sweet summer dress because it got forgotten in the back.
Sort your tops from bottoms.
- Keep all of your tops together in one section. I would recommend sorting these from tanks, short sleeves, long sleeves, and sweaters, with the tanks and short sleeves being up front for the summer months.
- If you have a bottom rod, you can keep all your bottoms together there. Sort these into shorts, skirts, and pants.
- Hang all your dresses together in another section. If you have work and casual dresses, you can make these into two sections.
Sort by colors.
- This might be too far for some, but sorting by colors can save so much time when getting ready. You can easily see what tops you have in this color and if you have a tank to match these pants.
- This can also be a great tool for knowing what to shop for. If you sort by colors, and you have 5 blouses that are pretty much the same color coral (ahem… my closet), then hey, you might not need to buy that 6th one when you see it at the store. You can easily see what colors you have plenty of, and what colors you might like more of.
Keep all hangers the same.
- I really like having all my hangers the same. I love the white plastic ones! They don’t distract from the clothes, everything looks clean and neat, and they don’t leave hanger marks on my clothes.
Consider a shelf or small bookcase for more storage.
- I love our Closetmaid storage shelf in the middle of our closet. We were able to add a bottom closet rod for more storage by using the shelves in the middle. I love using this for folded items.
Fold jeans and bulky items.
- If you can, fold jeans and bulky items to save hanging space.
- You can also see these items a lot easier folded up rather than on the hanger.
Keep accessories in a bin.
- I have all of my small purses, clutches, and belts in a small fabric storage bin on top of our shelves.
- Everything is neatly placed in the bin, and all in on place when I need something.
Keep shoes off the floor.
- We use a Closetmaid shoe storage piece to keep most of our shoes off the floor. I stack my boots on top and beside the shoe storage.
Take your time putting clothes away and keep everything organized.
- If you take the time to put your clothes away properly, your closet will stay neat and organized. (Preaching to myself here!)
And to reward myself for my hard work and to restock my closet just a little, I have decided to try ordering from thredUP (gently worn secondhand clothes) and also Stitch Fix (personal stylist subscription box). I can’t wait for my orders to come in and share my experience with you! *
*Referral Links – If you sign up using my referral link, I get a small credit to use towards my orders. And if you order and share your link, you could gain credits too! Love that!!
If you’ve been dying to clean up your closet, or putting it off as long as possible, bite the bullet and go do it!! Put on some fun music, grab a stylish friend to help you choose what to keep and get rid of, and get to work! I promise, you will love the way your closet looks after! It’s so refreshing to look at a nice, clean, organized closet.
What are your other favorite closet organization ideas?
P.S. Never want to miss a post but don't have time to check the site everyday? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive blog posts straight to your inbox, along with the best frugal living tips!